.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Learning and Teaching Styles Essay

Wk. 2 Learning and T individu anyying Styles In almost all(prenominal) actual well-designed study, Mr. Pashler and his colleagues deliver in their paper, Learning Styles Concepts and Evidence, the pattern is similar For a overstepn lesson, one instructional technique turns out to be optimum for all groups of scholars, even though students with certain study trends may non love that technique. (2009) I wanted to start this paper with this quote since it did embroil some sort of evidence that larning in one style still works.Students can and do succeed and redeem received advert scores as their peers whose learning styles matched the t individuallyers regularitys of thatched roofing. I do believe b arely that students may not catch on as fast and endure inte quietus easier when being taught material. This is why I would still use opposite regularitys of teaching versus just one. As a visual learner, I go out how difficult it can be to orally receive directions for an assignment or other activity. I thrive on written directions and learning materials that occupy to be read or are graphed.I practically had to look the teacher numerous times to repeat the directions because I wasnt authorized what I was supposed to do. This put me behind and my grades occasionally suffered as a result. As a past teacher who worked in a cultivate that believed in teaching using the nine-fold intelligences method, I found enormous joy in sightedness my students succeed. As teachers, we were required to hand in our lesson plans weekly to the principal. Our lesson plans had to involve each of the intelligences. This was my first accepted job as a teacher and I did not completely understand why we were required to do this and not use our protest personal methods. sounding second, I am so grateful that I learned and power saw first hand the consequences of teaching using the multiple intelligences. I enjoyed seeing my students motivation rise as their type o f learning was focused on for a particular lesson. When I go back to teaching, I go out with no doubt in my mind, use this method again. It completely fits with my style of teaching most likely because it was my first real experience and works even for those students who wear a completely opposite learning style than I do. In an ESL air divisionroom, dividing a lesson into phases (Palmberg) to make surely I use each of the intelligences is archetype.I firmly believe that this method works no matter how different a students learning style is from the teacher. In a sample lesson for example, I would condone the topic (i. e. vocabulary words on sustenance items) and give the students an overview of what they will need to do and what they are expected to learn. I would read them a story relating to food or going shopping. Next I would have them write down their own list of items that their families normally buy often for a real-life experience. The next phase is to divide the cl ass into groups and share each others lists.They would also discuss what their ideal list and retention layout would be like if they could buy any type of food that they wanted from their ideal grocery store. They would then move on to thinking nigh a song or songs that is about food. We would play that song the by-line day. For the students who feel comfortable, creating their own body expressions describing food would be next and overlap these movements with the rest of the class. This exercise could be turned into a gaming lesson where the rest of the class would have to guess which food item is being emphasized (like charades).We would next come up with a class list of favourite food items. There would more than likely be some diversity so I would divide them up in half postulation them to have a debate based on reasonable food limits and favorites to come up with an ideal list. We would do the said(prenominal) thing for the ideal store layout. For the sake of repetitio n, each original group would compare with the class their original lists and new reasonable list and layout. I believe this lesson would collide with a few days but involves most if not all intelligences.Being a visual learner, I can wellbeing from the students who are different from me as untold as they emolument from me and the lessons I teach them using the different intelligences. For example, as I try and improve my weaknesses in some forms of learning, I can reach from the students who learn better in a completely different way (say kinesthetic). They will get much benefit from the part of the lesson that involves movement and I will get the same benefit seeing how they react and learn to this part of the lesson.To make things fun for the students (and me) those willing could come up with their own way of teaching each other about a certain topic. I would of course give them the general rules and guidelines and they would do the rest. I think each student could benefit fr om this because they would more than likely use their favorite way of learning to teach a lesson. For those who do not want to do this, they could also benefit from this since it is an exercise that is not ordinarily done and will hold enliven longer.I am not a teacher and never have been one who forces students to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable (i. e. standing up and doing a charade). I think that this will do more harm than good. The student may back off and not participate or be dying(predicate) to learn for fear that they may be picked on by their peers or even the teacher. I had this experience in middle drill and know how it feels. I began to pull myself away from the class and especially the teacher. As a result, I did poorly in the class. For these types of students, a more loving approach is necessary.The teacher may ask this type of student to write an explanation of what they would do or simply tell the teacher what they would do for an assignment. Th is is why I am such a believer of the multiple intelligences method. It involves all students and doesnt single out particular ones. Everyone benefits and everyone learns based on their own learning strengths. Another less popular/obvious benefit of this teaching method is related to the impact that the students learning has on their own family and stand life.I think that because a student is more eager to learn as a result of the multiple intelligences method, they will enrapture their positive attitude into their home life and be more obedient towards their family and of course themselves. As we all know, a students home life reflects their attitudes and success in school. References chronicle. com/article/Matching-Teaching-Style-to/49497/ www. sube. com/ /integrating_learning_styles_and_skills_in_e www. tecweb. org/styles/gardner. html www. tefl. net/esl-lesson-plans/multiple-intelligences. htm Gardner, Howard. 1993. three-fold intelligences. The theory in practice. New York Basic Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment